Course of Study: Individual Courses
The Course of Study on South Carolina Law is an 11-part video series designed to provide candidates for admission to the South Carolina Bar that gives an overview of how laws differ in South Carolina from regional, national or federal practice. These videos are a mandatory part of your SC Bar admission experience.
The series contains 11 individual modules covering the following topics and presented by the listed distinguished faculty:
1. Real Property: Professor Stephen A. Spitz and Benton Williamson
2. Family Law: Professor Marcia Zug and John O. McDougall
3. Torts and Conflicts of Laws: Professor Constance Anastopoulo and John S. Nichols
4. Workers’ Compensation: Professor Stanford Lacy
5. Insurance Law: Professor Constance Anastopoulo and Eric Poulin
6. Business Entities and Partnerships: Professor Martin McWilliams and Joseph E. Clark
7. Civil Procedure and Evidence: Professor Colin Miller and Justin S. Kahn
8. Trusts and Estates: Professor Alan Medlin and Professor Ladson Boyle
9. Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code: Hon. J. Michelle Childs and Professor Philip Lacy
10. Criminal Law: Professor Susan Kuo and Miller Shealy
11. Ethics and Professional Responsibility: Dean Robert M. Wilcox and Elizabeth Van Doren Gray
Each module is self-contained, and you may view them in any order you wish. You must, however, successfully complete the entire series no later than the deadline provided to you in correspondence from the Office of Bar Admissions in order to be eligible for the next scheduled swearing-in ceremony.
At the conclusion of each module you will be prompted to provide answers to a three-question test on the material covered by the presentation. These multiple choice or true/false questions are randomly generated from a larger pool of questions so that each viewer will receive a distinct set of questions.
In order to move on to the next module, you must answer all three questions correctly. You will have three opportunities to pass the test. If you do not answer the questions correctly after three attempts you will have to email firstname.lastname@example.org (do not re-purchase the modules) to ask for more quiz attempts and re-take a new test.
Upon successful completion of each module and once you have completed the entire Course of Study you must email the SC Bar at email@example.com no later than the deadline provided by the Office of Bar Admissions order to be eligible for the next scheduled swearing in date. The South Carolina Bar will report your successful completion of the entire series to the South Carolina Supreme Court Office of Bar Admissions.
Please note that these videos are not intended to provide a comprehensive overview of each topic. Furthermore, while we have attempted to cover current law, remember that the law is subject to change.